Back to Creative Living Well

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Go On A Photo Safari

Photography is a wonderful stress relieving activity at least it is the way I do it. I love my i-phone because I always have my camera with me. When I see an interesting or beautiful photo I can take a digital photo. I later use those photos for blog posts, or as ideas for things to paint. Some don't ever get used but there was pleasure for me in capturing that moment of beauty.  "This particular stress management skill allows you to place your focus outside of yourself. Photography is a creative and fun hobby that can help distract you from the stress, anxiety, and depression you may be feeling. The more time you invest into a stress management skill, such as photography, you are being proactive in promoting and maintaining a healthy mind." http://www.sound-mind.org/

The photos in this post are all things I have taken while out walking which is another of my self care activities.  

I have awoken the last few days with a lot of anxiety. I have two important tests looming ahead of me in the not distant future, one to be certified as a home care aid, the other from my massage license.  It is easy to get stressed out about what happens once I pass those tests. I realized that the tests were more of a surface issue the greater anxiety is about moving from this season of learning and school into what the future holds.  I tried to work back from the surface issues to get to the root causes of the anxiety I was feeling. I also got out my collection of essential oils and took a bath with lavender, orange, lemongrass, bergamont, frankincense, jasmine and geranium. I promise to write more about the benefits of various essential oils. They are amazing. Those listed each bring a variety of good elements for helping with anxiety. I could have just used any one of them but I like making blends. They worked wonderfully by the way. I spent a little time praying and sorting things out and made up my mind that I was not going to continue stressing about the future or the tests. I just need to keep doing my best as I study trusting that when the time comes I will be ready and when the future arrives I will be ready for it as well. Sometimes we just need to look at our situation differently. Sometimes we need to take the time to do something positive for our selves. I let all that anxiety go down the drain with the bath water and have had a wonderful day. 

Back to photography it captures a moment in time. I can snap things from different angles. I can slow down to notice some tiny flower or patterns in nature, or the smile on someones face. I can change my focus from worrying to doing something positive and enjoyable.  Photography can be a wonderful creative distraction. Many of the de-stressing lists that I have found talk about the importance of finding a hobby as being a great way to help manage your stress.  

I don't want you to think that I have got it all together. Just like you there are days that I struggle. There are days when stress gets the better of me. I hope if I share with you my self care journey it will encourage you on yours. Todays post is a mix of my journey as well as sharing an activity that I make part of the positive self care things I like to do. 

Stop and smell the flowers and take a photo while your at it. 


My Self Care Wellness Activity:
I love this idea from http://www.pickthebrain.com "Take yourself on a photo walk with your camera. Just 10 minutes is all you will need. Go slow. Breathe. Really look. Take photos of all the details along the way. Get closer to your subject and take more photos. This is a walking photo meditation. It’s sacred time for you to be shown the wonder that awaits you right outside your door."





No comments:

Post a Comment