Back to Creative Living Well

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Go Barefoot - Earthing

By Margot Cioccio 

Photos by Margot Cioccio
I noticed on the list of stress relieving activities that I posted yesterday that it listed "Go Barefoot as a stress relieving activity.

As a child I loved to go barefoot but as I have gotten older I may walk barefoot indoors but rarely outdoors. So I thought I would give that a try and also look into why it is beneficial.

All those feet pictures are mine. I made a point to walk on as many natural surfaces as possible. I gotta say that grass is my favorite. We have a lot of pine trees and the needles are a wee bit prickly. I went to Manito Park and left my shoes in the car and walked for about 45 minutes. I was not able to go at my normal pace. I had to slow down a bit. I did notice that I noticed the varied textures like the wetness of the grass and how the mud path felt cool. I noticed the smell of the grass, the pines and the cedar chips as I walked through them. Upon arriving home my feet feel stimulated and alive. I probably won't go barefoot every day but it did have an energizing and connecting with the earth element to it. At one point I found myself praying for the earth. I was reminded of an old Joni Mitchell song that says "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got till it's gone. They paved paradice and put up a parking lot." I realize that we have not cared for this lovely planet nearly as well as we should have. We have also become very insulated from the earth by our modern technology laden lifestyles.

So here's some of what I've found about the benefits of going barefoot which is apparently called earthing. I can't make excuses for this one. Its amazing to me how simple some changes are to make. It does not cost me anything to take my shoes off when I go to the park and to walk in the grass. I will often sit on a rock or on the ground rather than on a park bench and I suppose that would have similar benefits. Over the past year while I have been in Massage School I have worked to improve my over all strength and wellness. So most days I go out Nordic Walking with poles. The poles help work your upper body and core while you are walking but I'll share that in another post. I have found that I really enjoy walking and have much less lower back pain as a result. Plus my arms have toned up a bit and I no longer feel embarrassed to wear sleeveless tops.

"Walking barefoot, also known as "earthing," has gone from being a kooky counter-culture trend, to a scientifically-researched practice with a number of remarkable health advantages, such as increasing antioxidants, reducing inflammation, and improving sleep.

"Earthing means walking barefoot on soil, grass or sand (meaning: any natural surface). So we’ll have to get off the sidewalk. Early studies are showing that the health benefits come from the relationship between our bodies and the electrons in the earth. The planet has its own natural charge, and we seem to do better when we’re in direct contact with it. " DR. ISAAC ELIAZ

"So, what is Earthing? Earthing is as simple as walking on the beach, laying down on a rock or in other ways connecting directly to the earth's surface with your bare skin. The premise is that the earth's negative ions help balance the positive ions we build up every day through stress, inflammatory foods and exposure to electronic and cellular devices." Says Lisa Armstrong of Sheknows.com

“The most reasonable hypothesis to explain the beneficial effects of Earthing is that a earth connection enables both daily electrical rhythms and free electrons to flow from the earth to the body." Dr. James L. Oschman

"Why does the Earth’s electric field transfer so easily to the body?
A. The body is mostly water and minerals. It is a good conductor of electricity (electrons). The free electrons on the surface of the Earth are easily transferred to the human body as long as there is direct contact. Unfortunately, synthetically-soled shoes act as insulators so that even when we are outside we do not connect with the Earth’s electric field. When we are in homes and office buildings, we are also insulated and unable to receive the Earth’s balancing energies." 

According to www.earthing.com

"Earthing is a timeless practice, a modern discovery, and a growing movement. It is not a treatment… it’s a hugely rewarding return to a core aspect of Nature we have abandoned."
Gaétan Chevalier, Ph.D. Director, Earthing Institute

"Earthing studies and feedback indicate that inflammation and stress decrease substantially, and sometimes dramatically. Contact with the Earth appears to dynamically boost the body’s own self-repair and healing mechanisms. This suggests to us that inflamm-aging may be the result of long periods without contact with the electrons of the earth. Our simple solution for the disconnect is pretty obvious: just reconnect to the Earth. It is not a panacea, but it sure may be a difference in how long and well we live." Gaétan Chevalier, Ph.D., Director, Earthing Institute

Well I've been home for a couple of hours and my feet still feel tingly. I did have to wash the dirt and sap off my feet. The dirt came off pretty easily but the sap may require a soak in the tub. Oh well that just another great way to relieve stress.  The do say that some people experience flu like symptoms during the first week. So do stay hydrated.  I will probably add a bit of activated charcoal to my water tonight help flush out the toxins.  I'm not here to give you medical advice. You should always consult your physician. There is a lot of self care that we can do for ourselves and hopefully spend less time at the doctors office.

My Self Care Wellness Activity: 
Take your shoes off and go walk in the park or in your own yard. Get reconnected with the earth and see how it makes you feel. Go earthing. Go barefoot. If walking is a problem go sit in the yard with out your shoes. Skeptical? There is plenty of information to be found online. This post has just scratched the surface.

Help Support My Self Care Spa
I make a small royalty on these items but it does help support this blog. Today I have a button. I wanted a water bottle but they are out of stock. Oh well buttons are cool and quite affordable. 
I figure a button like this is a great conversation starter to help you share the benefits of earthing. 


Earthing, Go Barefoot Square Button
Earthing, Go Barefoot Square Button by MargotsDesigns
Browse more Earthing Buttons at Zazzle

No comments:

Post a Comment