Back to Creative Living Well

Friday, January 8, 2016

Coloring for Stress Relief.

My new pencils
Some great books I've gotten
A page from my sketch book
                                                    You've probably seen them at the grocery store, or the book store or craft stores even places like Costco.

Adult coloring books that have intricate coloring designs of things like, nature scenes, animals or mandalas. I bought several and even invested in some really nice colored pencils at the art store.

Look they can't keep the shelves full
I decided I wanted another option to mindlessly watching Netflix. So I bought a few coloring books and a sketch book because my artist, son reminded me that I could create my own designs as well. Which has been a lot of fun as well.

 I've tried to include photos of some of what you can buy just about anywhere as well as some of my own artistic drawing work. There is one of my sketch book pages with peacock studies I was drawing just above. Turns out that not only is coloring fun it is a wonderful stress reliever as well. 

Eight card designs I drew and created for Christmas
A page I colored
"When coloring, we activate different areas of our two cerebral hemispheres, says psychologist Gloria Martínez Ayala. "The action involves both logic, by which we color forms, and creativity, when mixing and matching colors. This incorporates the areas of the cerebral cortex involved in vision and fine motor skills (the coordination necessary to make small, precise movements]. The relaxation that it provides lowers the activity of the amygdala, a basic part of our brain involved in controlling emotion that is affected by stress."

16 Nautical Theme Cards with Bible verses I drew and created
I have created some small 3x5 nautical designs with accompanying bible verses.  You can see some of them in the photo below. I'd love to send you the whole set of 16 for you to color as a thank you for supporting this blog for any donation of $10 or more. After you color them they are nice to include with gifts or just as a way to cheer up a friend or to let someone know you are praying for them. 

Coloring allows us to switch our brains from other thoughts and to simply focus on the moment. It is excellent for stress and anxiety relief.  Coloring is a wonderful self care option. I hope you will give it a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment