Back to Creative Living Well

Friday, November 21, 2014

Where The Mullein Grows

I wrote this a while ago and then never got it posted. Better late than never - right?

I've been meaning to go out and harvest Mullein for most of the summer. Today was finally the day. I took my Nordic Walking Sticks and my collecting bag and headed off on a short walk to a place I had noticed Mullen growing. It seems to like abandoned lots or places where the earth has been turned and then let to sit. I have driven past this location just about every day this summer, thinking I should stop and pick some. Today it seemed right to walk the couple of blocks. I was thinking I would only be able to get leafs and roots but was surprised to find about a cup's worth of flowers.

You are probably wondering why I would even be interested in this weed that you've probably seen and passed by numerous times. You might be surprised to discover that many of theses wild plants have wonderful healing benefits.
We are quick to run to the doctor or the drug store when many times there are so many things in nature are available.

I am not a full fledged expert on the subject Mullien but I wanted to pick some so I can experiment
with using it in various ways. You can go pick a whole stalk of Mullien and hang it upside down to dry for later use in the winter. It is often infused over night to make a strong tea about an once of dry Mullien to a quart of water. That tea is then used with equal amounts of milk and a touch of honey to help with respiratory problems. Some people just smoke it and get its healing benefits to the lungs that way. The flowers can be infused in oil to make a sedative that helps with ear aches and head aches.

Whats amazing about this plant is that you can use every part of it for various healing remedies. I am using mine to make infused massage oils. I wanted to try three infused oils made from the flowers, the leaves and the roots. I am also drying some of the leaves so we have them for the winter to help with coughs.

Since I wrote this article I have made and have been using my infused Mullen Oils. Can't say I love the smell of the root oil. I do like the leaf and flower oil and use them regularly.

Here are some article links I found to be interesting regarding Mullein.

http://bearmedicineherbals.com/a-golden-torch-mullein%E2%80%99s-healing-light.html

http://www.herbcraft.org/mullein.html

No comments:

Post a Comment